Hello readers! It’s just a less than a week to go before the most awaited day arrives! Yes, you guessed it perfectly right; I am talking about Gujarat’s very own kites flying festival, Uttarayan! This is that time of the year when celebrations ring in the air and happiness touches every heart. And now, in Gujarat, as we can see that the children and some grownups have already started flying kites on their roof tops! However, in spite of all the happiness and celebration an invisible danger has always been ignored.
Every year we read about hundreds of injuries and deaths during Uttarayan, due to many reasons be it their own mistake or someone else’s. Along with human, hundreds of innocent birds fall prey because of this festival who are inhabiting the skies. According to PETA India, in Ahmedabad alone, 2,000 birds are injured every year during Uttarayan, including pigeons, kites and vultures. And 602 of them die from their injuries.
Thus, with the safety purpose many NGOs, Government bodies, Police issue safety tips and warnings to make people aware about this. Hence, to spread the word, “Babla kites” also joins the hand and spreading awareness with some useful tips to make sure you celebrate a safe and obviously a cheerful Uttarayan and this valuable information will help you in keeping bikers, road walkers and birds safe. So, please do have a look to celebrate this festival in a healthy and safe way.
Tips for Kite fliers:
Remember 3 c’s common sense, courtesy and caution.
Tips for your own safety:
Don’t fly kites by standing in narrow spaces or near the terrace borders. Your billion dollars’ worth life is much more costly than a kite. And yes, please don’t rush here and there to catch kites.
While flying kites, it is advisable to carry a first aid kit along to treat small cuts on fingers due to kite-thread (manjha).
Tips for your health:
- “Take proper care of your eyes while flying kites because they are directly exposed to sunlight and UV rays can cause severe damage to your eyes. Wear sunglasses.
- Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Do not try to collect kites from electric poles.
- To take care of your skin apply lotion with SPF values of 25. To prevent tan, this should be applied every four hours.
- Wear cap, avoid leaving your hair open.
Tips for two wheel drivers:
- Stay safe and alert. Remember to drive slowly to avoid such accidents because in case a kite thread comesin your way of stopping your vehicle you can protect yourself from an inch away
- Very important thing to take into consideration is: If you are driving through road these days, make sure you wear a helmet, scarf, muffler or at least neck protector.
Tips for birds’ safety:
Lastly, don’t forget the birds, to whom the sky belongs! If you find a bird, which got hurt by the strings, please make sure that you contact local NGOs or Wild Life societies and inform the incident.
- When a bird hits the ground, do not catch it immediately. Give it some time to gain stability on its own while protecting it from cats and dogs
- If a bird has not received serious cuts and is able to fly, let it go. Do not hold the birds too tightly.
- Do not feed them water
- If a bird is badly injured and seems to require first aid, then cover its eyes with a soft cloth, like a sock. This will prevent them from fluttering their wings
- Put the injured bird in an empty bucket and cover it with cloth until help arrives
- Do not fly kites between 7 to and 9 am as well as between 5 pm to 7 pm. These are the hours when there are maximum birds in the sky.
In case of a serious medical emergency, you can also contact to Jivdaya charitable trust.
Help Line Number – 9924418184.
So, get yourself prepared, only a few hours to go. Babla kites” is Wishing you a very Happy happy, healthy and a safe Uttarayan. Hope you all had a great one!